The latest budget proposals have now been passed by the Tory controlled City Council, despite opposition from the Labour Group, and will see millions of pounds worth of cuts to services for this area.
- If you’ve not read the Budget Document yet, then you can do so NOW by visiting here!
What Darren Thinks:
There are a large number of cuts and hikes proposed, but here’s the 3 that I think most people in this area will notice:
- YOUR COUNCIL TAX WILL INCREASE: The Tories intend to increase YOUR council tax bill by 4% over the next 3 years i.e. 12% between now and 2023. Don’t forget, on top of that you have the Police and Fire Service charges.
- DIMMING STREET LIGHTS: Conservatives have agreed to dim street lights in residential areas by 20% between 9.30pm and 5am, on traffic routes by 20% between 9pm and midnight, and by 40% between midnight and 5am.
- STREET CLEANING BUDGET CUT: Cons have agreed to cut the street cleaning budget, which will also see a “reduction in city-wide stain washing” and in the response time to a majority of Fly-tipping – People could have to wait a week for its removal.
Is that all?
No! There’s also the cuts to; Disability Peterborough, youth services, heating grants to most vulnerable, budget for road safety, school transport service, anti-social behaviour team etc
Don’t forget …
That the same Tories at the Town Hall moaning about not having enough money, are:
- The same Tories who have increased your Council Tax to the max, over each of the last few years.
- The same Tories, as the ones in Government, who have made the cuts to local authority grants.
- The same Tories, who, over the last ten years, have been urging and campaigning for people to vote Conservative, despite knowing full well of the party’s policies of austerity.
- The same Tories, who now get paid more in allowances than ever before in Peterborough’s history. For example; Council Leader, Cllr John Holdich received £22,739.54 in 2010/11 and in 2018/19 pocketed £42,756.85 (an 85% increase during the period of austerity), Tory Cabinet Member for Strategic Planning, Cllr Peter Hiller got paid £22,293.98 in 2010/11 and received £25,755.00 in 2018/19 (a 16% increase, PLUS his wife got a job at the Council the other year, which I’m sure is above board, but its extra £’s into the household, plus pension etc) and then there’s Cllr Wayne Fitzgerald, who in 2010/11 got £7,962.08 in allowances and then in 2018/19 got £30,907.08 in his bank account (that’s a 288% increase in his Council pay).