If you rarely leave the city of Peterborough, you might be mistaken to think that all Councils across the UK are the same as the one we have here?
The reality is, this simply is NOT the case.
For example, allow me to introduce you to Hammersmith & Fulham Council:
- A place with a population of 185,426 (Peterborough’s population is about 202,000).
- In 2011, foreign-born residents made up 43% of Hammersmith & Fulham’s population (source).
- In 2016, H&F’s Council announced their councillors had frozen their allowances for the second year, and the salaries remained the same for 2017/2018 and for 2018/2019.
- In H&F, a Band A property pays £721.68 a year in Council Tax, in Peterborough we pay £896. A Band B property in H&F pays £841.97 in Council Tax per year, while in Peterborough it’s £1044.
- H&F have a resident-led Climate and Ecological Emergency commission, i.e. more action and less hot air, unlike Peterborough City Council!
- Hammersmith & Fulham Council is offering local residents of all ages and levels of experience the chance to work as an apprentice. If you search the term “apprenticeship” on the PCC website, you get one link, to an old article, talking about the work of someone else!
Cuts are essential, right?
Remember how the local Tories in our city have been acting like a crazed hairdessers, by cutting services and staff in recent years, and announcing millions more in cuts for 2020/2021?
Well press the play button on the below video to listen to a Hammersmith & Fulham councillor talking about what they are up to!
Why is there a difference?
There is of course one very BIG difference, between Peterborough and Hammersmith & Fulham Councils …… Peterborough is controlled by the Conservatives (has been for 20 years) and H&F is run by Labour!